BigCommerce Expands Global Payment Methods
BigCommerce announced on Wednesday that new local payment methods are now available in its Stripe integration, making it easier for merchants to reach more customers globally with payment methods they know and trust.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
The newly added payment methods are:
- ACH Direct Debit — enables direct debit bank transfers for United States shoppers in USD.
- BACS Direct Debit — allows for bank-to-bank payments from any United Kingdom bank account in GBP.
- BECS Direct Debit — accepts payments from any bank account in the Australian Payments Network in AUD.
- Klarna — provides United States shoppers with the flexibility to make delayed payments or pay in installments in USD.
- PayNow — allows Singapore shoppers to pay instantly using their preferred mobile banking app in SGD.
- WeChat Pay — enables global shoppers to pay for purchases using the WeChat app in CNY, AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, SGD, USD, DKK, NOK, SEK, and CHF.
Of note: These payment methods are currently available upon request only. BigCommerce merchants must fill out this form for approval to enable them in their Stripe account.
What it means: Bank transfer payments like ACH, BACS, and BECS are known for offering low processing fees and supporting high-value transactions, ideal for B2B checkout and big-ticket items.
With Klarna, shoppers can take advantage of Buy Now Pay Later financing, allowing them to make large purchases and pay for them over time while Klarna pays the merchant immediately.
Using mobile payments like PayNow and WeChat Pay, shoppers utilize popular financing and social media apps to quickly and conveniently complete online transactions.
How it works: To offer these payment methods, BigCommerce merchants will need to connect to Stripe if they haven’t already.
If Stripe is already set up in their store, merchants must ensure they have upgraded to the latest version before continuing.
Once merchants have connected to Stripe, they can enable the payment methods via the Stripe Dashboard they wish to offer during checkout.
Each payment method has its own country and currency requirements that restrict it to a specific region.
Go deeper: To learn more about the prerequisites and setup instructions for each payment method, see the BigCommerce Guide to Alternative Payment Methods.
What else is important: This is the latest payments expansion by BigCommerce. Earlier this year, the company added BitPay and CoinPayments allowing merchants to accept digital currencies in their BigCommerce store.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.