Black Friday & Cyber Monday – The Numbers
It is always fascinating to see just how busy the Thanksgiving weekend is every year in terms of eCommerce traffic and sales.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
For many online retailers it truly kickstarts their holiday season and also tests business and logistics processes to the max.
Amazon have already announced that Cyber Monday 2019 was their busiest day ever, surpassing 2018 numbers.
To get some more insight into last weekends sales period we spoke to our friends over at Feedvisor. Feedvisor are an AI powered business intelligence tool, and they have shared with us some interesting stats for Black Friday and Cyber Monday which we are now sharing with you.
- Consumers shopped earlier this year: Cumulatively, the seven days prior to Thanksgiving Day 2019 saw a 13% increase in Amazon sales compared to the same seven days in 2018.
- Black Friday ads drove 69% more Amazon sales than ads on Thanksgiving Day: Feedvisor’s customers spent 53% more on Amazon ads on Black Friday vs Thanksgiving Day
- Consumers spent on average 2x more on Black Friday vs Thanksgiving Day: Feedvisor’s data shows that Amazon sales on Black Friday were 135% higher than last month’s average. Overall, sales were up 17% on Black Friday 2019 compared to 2018.
- Amazon sales and profits soared on the first two days of Cyber 5*: Compared to last year, Feedvisor’s customers saw a 25% increase in Amazon profits on Thanksgiving and a 27% increase in profits on Black Friday.
*Cyber 5 are the 5 days from Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday
- Increased holiday ad spend is driving sales on Amazon: Combined ad spend from Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday 2019 was 22% higher than last month’s average, and combined sales from ads were up by 36%.
- Across Feedvisor’s customers: Holiday Five sales on Amazon were 12% higher and profits were 23% higher in 2019 than the same five day period in 2018
- Compared to last month’s average sales: Sales on Amazon during the Holiday Five period were 86% higher
Cyber Monday Specifics
- Cyber Monday 2019: Sales on Amazon were 18% higher and profits were 25% higher than 2018
- Monday is THE Day: Sales on Amazon on Cyber Monday were 38% higher than sales on Black Friday, as well as 180% higher than sales on Thanksgiving Day
- Amazon Ad Spend: Compared to Cyber Monday 2019, Amazon ad spend was significantly higher on both Black Friday (152%) and Thanksgiving Day (65%).
- Amazon Ad Sales: Ad-driven sales on Amazon were nearly 2x higher on Black Friday (182%) and 67% higher on Thanksgiving Day than they were on Cyber Monday.
It is clear that the consumer appetite for deals is continuing to grow year on year and whilst Cyber Monday is still the big day for online, the Cyber 5 are all seeing significant traffic and sales online, which asks the question will the physical ‘Doorbusting’ soon be a thing of the past?
We love to read your comments on this story
Please use the comments section below or head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Dave is a Co-Founder of eSeller365. For over 10 years he has been involved with eCommerce with a particular interest in the marketplaces and the huge opportunities available for sellers when utilizing a multi-channel strategy. After a year of being the UK’s youngest eCommerce consultant, he built an education platform called UnderstandingE that showed the world how to utilize Magento as the “Third Generation of Multi-Channel software”.
Dave has also created a YouTube channel dedicated to entrepreneurship and eCommerce as well as a podcast dedicated to mental health awareness. When Dave isn’t working his main interests include learning and playing Chess, researching the Crypto and NFT space, and trying to find the nearest beach.