eBay UK to Offer Seller Protections for Royal Mail Strike Action
eBay UK will be helping its sellers as Royal Mail is facing a strike from the Communication Workers Union (CWU) which will impact mail services in the UK on four days over the next few weeks.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
The CWU has called on its members to take strike action on Friday, 26 August, Wednesday, 31 August, as well as two consecutive days in September on Thursday and Friday of 8 & 9 September 2022.
This strike will also impact Parcelforce, which is owned by the Royal Mail Group.
eBay UK announced it will automatically protect the performance standards of sellers between Monday, 22nd August and Monday 18th September, for:
- Late delivery rate, which will be removed for transactions with estimated delivery dates between the above dates.
- “Item not received” count in the Service Metrics dashboard will be automatically removed.
During this time, eBay UK will also remove any negative and neutral feedback related to late or non-delivery.
No End in Sight for Solution to Labor Dispute
Unfortunately, it appears there is no resolution forthcoming to this labor dispute. The two sides seem very far apart and there is now another threat of an even longer strike.
According to reporting by the Mirror, a union source said: “I think by the end of September you are going to be looking at eight days”.
eBay sellers in the UK may want to brace for this possibility and want to consider alternative shipping options if these strike days will continue.
With eBay Delivery, sellers have integrated access to EVRi (formerly Hermes), UPS, DPD, and DHL which could be options for some sellers.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.