On Independence Day USPS and Many Businesses Are Closed – Here Is What to Know
July 4th is Independence Day, a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the Declaration of Independence establishing the United States of America.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
It is one of the major holidays in the US when government offices, banks, and most non-retail businesses are closed.
The United States Postal Service observes the holiday as well with most facilities and services not operating today.
What is closed today or not operational today at USPS?
- No counter operations at retail post offices around the country.
- No regular mail delivery.
- No regular mail pick-up.
- No mail pickup from USPS mailboxes.
- No USPS phone customer service.
What is open or operational today at USPS?
- Access PO Boxes at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Use self-service machines at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Priority Mail Express may be delivered. Restrictions and conditions apply, check tracking.
- Online USPS Ship-N-Click is fully functional.
- Inside and outside USPS mailboxes are open 24/7 – but outside boxes could become very full at busy post office locations.
UPS, FedEx, DHL, and Others
Since this is a major holiday, some courier services may offer critical shipment services today, but standard ground or express shipments are not picked up or delivered today.
Most company-operated or licensed shipping centers are closed today. However, some retailers like Walgreens or Staples that offer shipping services with these carriers may process or accept packages today.
Tips for Sellers on Independence Day
When USPS, UPS, FedEx and other shippers are closed, it’s a bit tricky for sellers that ship internationally as many foreign buyers don’t know about this major federal holiday and expect shipments to process today.
Here are some tips on how to deal with this situation:
- Email international buyers that today is a US Federal Holiday and shipments will be processed on Tuesday.
- eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, PayPal and other platforms that offer shipping services will process labels today if sellers wish to do so. However, most of them will not inform buyers that it is a holiday, so international buyers may expect a pick-up scan and therefore, sellers should inform buyers that packages will not show any tracking until Tuesday.
Additional Federal / USPS Holidays in 2022
Looking forward to this year, here is a list of the remaining federal and postal holidays in 2022.
- Monday, September 5 – Labor Day
- Monday, October 10 – Columbus Day
- Friday, November 11 – Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 24 – Thanksgiving Day
- Monday, December 26 (observed)* – Christmas Day
* December 25, 2022 (Christmas Day), falls on a Sunday. Monday, December 26, will be treated as a federal holiday.
Here is a more complete list of all major holidays and other important dates for eCommerce in 2022.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.