Shopify Reported Earnings Today – Ends 2020 With 1.7 Million Merchants and Other Highlights From Earnings Call
Shopify announced its fourth-quarter and full-year 2020 financial results today which show the company grew not only in revenues but also merchants.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
While a lot of growth can be attributed to the COVID pandemic with more entrepreneurs seeking to build online businesses, but international expansion also played a huge role.
- Fourth-Quarter Revenue Grows 94% on GMV Growth of 99% Year on Year.
- Full-Year 2020 Revenue Grows 86% on GMV Growth of 96% Year on Year.
- GMV Exceeds $41 Billion for the Fourth Quarter and Reaches $120 Billion for 2020.
- Gross profit dollars grew 91% to $504.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2020, compared with $263.9 million for the fourth quarter of 2019.
Shopify Earnings Call Highlights
Tobi Lütke, CEO and Amy Shapero, CFO also participated in the earnings call, but most of the interesting highlights for small business merchants were by Harley Finkelstein, President.
Comments from Shopify President Harley Finkelstein
- At the end of 2020, we had more than 1.7 million merchants around the world reaching further economic independents with Shopify, with merchants from outside are core English-speaking geographies continuing to increase as part of our mix. Approximately, 3,000 merchants joined Shopify Plus, our subscription plan for larger and more complex merchants, bringing the total number of Plus merchants to more than 10,000 at year-end.
- Our merchants generated approximately $120 billion in GMV, which nearly doubled year-over-year for three consecutive quarters in 2020.
- On an aggregated basis, our merchants would rank us the second-largest eCommerce retailer in the U.S., a lead that further expanded this past year.
- The Shop experience is built for buyer retention with features like our accelerated checkout, Shop Pay; our buy-now-pay-later product, Shop Pay Installments, and real-time delivery tracking. By the end of 2020, Shop had more than 100 million registered users, including both buyers that have opted into Shop Pay, as well as users of the app, of which more than 19 million were monthly active users at the start of this year. By the end of 2020, Shop Pay had facilitated close to $20 billion in cumulative GMV since its launch in 2017.
- Earlier this month, Shop Pay was made available for the first time on the Shopify platform to Shopify merchants on Instagram and we’ll roll it out to Facebook in the coming weeks. Once fully implemented with Shopify Payments as the processor of all transactions with Shopify merchants on both the social services, not only will merchants have a conversion advantage of accelerated checkout through Shop Pay, but it will enable merchants to manage all of their Facebook and Instagram selling directly within Shopify.
- Shopify Shipping offers merchants another simple and affordable way to get products to buyers. In Q4, adoption of Shopify Shipping by eligible merchants increased to 52%, up from 45% this time last year and we continue our work to democratize fulfillment for entrepreneurs through the Shopify Fulfillment Network, offering fast and affordable services to buyers.
Complete Shopify Earnings Information
Please see the Shopify Press Release for more details on the company’s fourth-quarter and full-year 2020 results.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.