Shopify Smash Black Friday / Cyber Monday Records with $6.3 Billion in Sales
Shopify Inc, a provider of essential internet infrastructure for commerce, announced today a record-setting Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend with sales of $6.3* billion globally from the start of Black Friday in New Zealand through the end of Cyber Monday in California. This is a 23% increase in sales from the more than $5.1 billion reported for Shopify’s 2020 Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend, and more than double our merchants’ sales from the same holiday shopping weekend in 2019.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
*based on sales by its more than 1.7 million businesses in approximately 175 countries around the world
Black Friday / Cyber Monday is one of the highest-volume shopping moments of the year, a time when Shopify celebrates the power of entrepreneurship on a global stage. We saw deals start earlier than ever this year as brands and shoppers got ahead of shipping and supply chain delays, with daily total sales increasing 28 days before Cyber Monday versus 19 days in 2020.
“We call Black Friday / Cyber Monday the Super Bowl of commerce, and this years was the biggest yet,”
“These record sales showcase the monumental impact that independent businesses have on the global economy. We’re watching these entrepreneurs evolve in real-time, embracing selling strategies across every sales channel you can think of and showing up wherever their customers want to shop. This is the future of commerce, and it’s incredible to see our merchants around the world leading the revolution.”Harley Finkelstein, President, Shopify.
For the second year in a row, Shopify is fighting climate change during BFCM. We’re purchasing enough carbon removal to completely eliminate the impact of carbon emissions from shipping on every single order on our platform over the shopping weekend. This amounted to nearly 60,000 tonnes of carbon emissions offset. We carefully chose four high-quality carbon removal technologies and solutions—read more about our choices on the Shopify Blog.
Shopify 2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Global Highlights
- Black Friday saw the highest shopping moment during the weekend, with peak sales of more than $3.1 million per minute at 12:02 PM EST on November 26th.
- 47 million consumers globally purchased from independent and direct-to-consumer brands powered by Shopify.
- Shoppers’ spend climbed across many countries, with consumers globally spending $100.70 per order on average throughout the Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend, with consumers in Canada ($115.14 CAD), Australia ($158.80 AUD), and U.S. ($96.60 USD) spending the most on average.
- The top-selling cities shoppers made purchases from over the shopping weekend are London, New York, and Los Angeles, while the U.S., United Kingdom, and Canada were amongst the top-selling countries worldwide.
- Globally, 71% of Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales were made on mobile devices compared to 29% on desktop.
- Apparel and accessories sales reigned supreme across Shopify-powered stores globally this weekend in Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday continues to be a worldwide phenomenon with cross-border sales representing 15% of all orders globally, with the most popular cross-border routes being U.S.-Canada, Canada-U.S., and United Kingdom- U.S.
- Commerce sales generated by social integrations that offer buyers a seamless checkout experience nearly tripled year-over-year.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Editorial Note: This post is from a Company Press Release and may have been modified for clarity.