Third-Party Sales Through Online Marketplaces Will Account for 59% of All Global eCommerce by 2027
Edge by Ascential, whose technology-driven products power brands to win in digital commerce, today released its annual 2022 Future of Marketplaces Report which projects that worldwide, third-party online marketplaces will be the largest and fastest-growing retail channel globally.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
The report anticipates that third-party sales through online marketplaces will add $1.3 trillion in sales over the next five years and that by 2027 the four largest global online marketplaces–Amazon, Alibaba,
Pinduoduo and JD.com–will be responsible for $4.3 trillion in global sales, up from $2.5 trillion today.
Available to Edge Retail Insight subscribers, Edge by Ascential’s 2022 Future of Marketplaces Report
examines the evolving model of digital retail platforms and the growing importance of the marketplace
model to these businesses. This allows any seller to quickly list and have their products found by shoppers and gives shoppers a better experience through expanded assortment.
“The most successful retailers, both now and in the future, will operate third-party marketplaces,”
“Between 2022 and 2027, data forecasts from Edge by Ascential suggest that third-party marketplaces will be the largest and fastest-growing retail channel globally. The four largest global marketplace leaders of today– Amazon, Alibaba, Pinduoduo, and JD.com–all operate growing third-party marketplaces and are increasingly prioritizing this model as a core part of their commerce strategy.”
“Edge Retail Insight’s forecasting software anticipates that by the end of 2027 these four marketplaces will account for more than two-thirds of global eCommerce sales – first-party and third-party. The consumer brands that will be most successful in this new retail environment will align with the right marketplace partners, optimize their unique capabilities to use all elements of the marketplace flywheel, and leverage real-time data and insights to respond effectively to competitive intelligence, performance blockers and changing market conditions.”Deren Baker, CEO, Edge by Ascential.
Key Findings From The Report Include:
- Alibaba will continue to be the global leader in retail sales by 2027, growing total net GMV sales (eCommerce and bricks and mortar) in 2027 to $1.5 trillion. Amazon will be the second-largest online retail marketplace with $1.2 trillion in total net GMV sales in 2027.
- In 2022, the four largest global marketplace leaders– Alibaba, Amazon, Pinduoduo, and JD.com– account for $2.5 trillion in global sales (taking into account first-party and third-party sales through their platforms).
- By 2027, these four marketplaces will account for $4.3 trillion in global retail sales. (almost 66.5% of global eCommerce sales).
- By 2027, all five of the leading global retailers–Amazon, Alibaba, Pinduoduo, JD.com, and Walmart–will operate a third-party marketplace.
- By 2027, third-party sales through marketplaces will be the largest and fastest-growing retail channel globally, adding more than $1.3 trillion in sales by 2027 and accounting for 38% of all global retail sales growth.
- First-party eCommerce sales will shrink from 44% today to 41% in 2027, adding $778 billion in sales over the next 5 years.
- By 2027, third-party sellers through marketplaces will capture 59% of global eCommerce sales, up from 56% in 2022.
- The number of third-party marketplaces operating globally has jumped by more than 500% since 2007.
- Edible grocery will be the fastest-growing category for third-party online sales between 2022-2027, with third-party sales compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11%.
- Household and Pet Care will be the second-fastest-growing category, with 10.6% CAGR growth for third-party sales and third-party sales in the office supplies category growing at 10.5% CAGR.
- In China, third-party sales currently account for almost 80% of online sales.
Future of Marketplaces Report Methodology:
- Data and insights come from the Edge by Ascential 2022 Future of Marketplaces Report, available to subscribers of our market-leading data, analytics, and curated content platform Edge Retail Insight.
- The report was created with data from Edge by Ascential’s proprietary analytics tool, Retail Market Monitor (RMM), which can give 5-year projections by sector, geography, channel, and chain retailer and so identifies the growth opportunities for retailers and brands.
- Retail sales for third-party marketplaces referenced are calculated using Gross Merchandise Value (GMV), a standard used to measure the size of a third-party marketplace. It is calculated by multiplying the number of products sold by the price at which each product was sold over a given time period.
- Retail sales data includes online and offline operations and only includes chain retailers, of which Edge Retail Insight covers almost 2,500 worldwide.
- Forecasts change week by week because of the fast-moving developments in the retail environment and uncertain economic conditions so the data in this press release and the report reflects the RMM data at the time of publishing.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Editorial Note: This post is from a Company Press Release and may have been modified for clarity.