UPS Reports Q1 2022 Earnings of $24.4 Billion – Beating Estimates
UPS today announced first-quarter 2022 consolidated revenue of $24.4 billion, a 6.4% increase over the first quarter of 2021.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
Consolidated operating profit was $3.3 billion, up 17.6% compared to the first quarter of 2021, and up 12.1% on an adjusted basis.
Diluted earnings per share were $3.03 for the quarter; adjusted diluted earnings per share of $3.05 were 10.1% above the same period in 2021.
For the first quarter of 2022, GAAP results include a net charge of $19 million, or $0.02 per diluted share, comprised of after-tax transformation and other charges of $43 million offset by an after-tax gain of $24 million resulting from the curtailment of benefits in a Canadian retirement plan.
“I want to thank all UPSers for their outstanding efforts during a challenging first quarter to serve the needs of our customers. The agility of our network and the continued execution of our strategy delivered another quarter of strong financial performance, putting us on our way to achieving our 2022 consolidated financial targets.”Carol Tomé, UPS chief executive officer
US Domestic Segment
- Revenue grew 8.0%, driven by a 9.5% increase in revenue per piece.
- Operating margin was 11.0%; adjusted operating margin was 11.3%.
- Revenue increased 5.8%, driven by a 10.5% increase in revenue per piece.
- Operating margin was 22.9%; adjusted operating margin was 23.0%.
Supply Chain Solutions
- Revenue increased 2.0%, led by Forwarding, which grew $517 million, or 25%.
- Operating margin was 10.8%; adjusted operating margin was 11.0%.
UPS 2022 Outlook
The company provides guidance on an adjusted (non-GAAP) basis because it is not possible to predict or provide a reconciliation reflecting the impact of future pension mark-to-market adjustments or other unanticipated events, which would be included in reported (GAAP) results and could be material.
For 2022, UPS reaffirms its full-year financial targets:
- Consolidated revenue of about $102 billion
- Consolidated adjusted operating margin of approximately 13.7%
- Adjusted return on invested capital above 30%
- Capital expenditures of 5.4% of revenue, or approximately $5.5 billion
- Dividend payments, subject to board approval, of about $5.2 billion
Finally, UPS is announcing its plans to double the amount of share repurchases for 2022, taking the target to $2 billion for the year.
For full details on the UPS first-quarter earnings report, please visit the UPS investor relations site here.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Editorial Note: This post is from a Company Press Release and may have been modified for clarity.