UPS Releases Rate Adjustments for 2022
UPS announced that the published rates for its UPS Ground and UPS Air services will increase by an average of 5.9% effective December 26, 2021.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
This average rate increase matches rate adjustments already announced by rival carriers FedEx and DHL.
But as has been the case for several years, UPS rates increase in late December after Christmas, while the other carriers increase their rates in early January.
- Preview 2022 UPS Daily Package Rates
- Preview 2022 UPS Alaska and Hawaii Daily Package Rates
- Preview 2022 UPS Hundredweight Service Package Rates
UPS is also increasing the rates for certain Value-Added services and Other Charges:
As of January 9, 2022, the carrier will also be renaming “Peak Surcharges” to “Peak/Demand Surcharges” and adjusting the Zip Codes for which Area Surcharges will apply.
- Preview 2022 Changes to Area Surcharge Zip Code Listing
- Preview 2022 Area Surcharge Zip Code Listing
- Preview 2022 Extended Area Surcharge Zip Code Listing
Also, the list of Zip Codes to which the Remote Area Surcharge applies will include select Zip Codes in the 48 contiguous states.
UPS did not explain why it is changing the name of the Peak Surcharges to add the word “Demand” now.
“Peak” is the defacto standard term in the industry to identify the holiday season. Is UPS preparing for the possibility of implementing short-term surcharges during other times of the year?
UPS Air Freight Rate Adjustments
On December 26, 2021, UPS is also adjusting its rates by an average increase of 5.2% for UPS Air Freight within and between the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
- Preview 2022 UPS Air Freight Rates
- Preview 2022 UPS Air Freight Accessorial Rate changes
- Preview 2022 US Origin UPS® Air Freight Premium Direct Rates
Other UPS Adjustments
Along with this price increase announcement, UPS also announced an update to its US Fuel Surcharges for Ground and Air services, effective November 15.
And shippers should not forget about applicable Peak Surcharges, some of which are already in effect for this holiday season.
For more information about UPS rate adjustments, please see the UPS Website.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.