Veterans Day: USPS, Government Offices, and Banks Are Closed Today – November 11, 2022
Veterans Day is a federal holiday in the US to honor military veterans of the United States Armed Forces and is observed annually on November 11.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
On Veterans Day, most local, state, and federal government offices, the United States Postal Service, banks, and some non-retail businesses are closed.
What is closed today or not operational today at USPS?
- No counter operations at retail post offices around the country.
- No regular mail delivery.
- No regular mail pick-up.
- No mail pickup from USPS mailboxes.
- No USPS phone customer service.
What is open or operational today at USPS?
- Access PO Boxes at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Use self-service machines at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Priority Mail Express may be delivered. Restrictions and conditions apply, check tracking.
- Online USPS Ship-N-Click is fully functional.
- Inside and outside USPS mailboxes are open 24/7 – but outside boxes could become very full at busy post office locations.
UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL, and Other Private Parcel Carriers
- UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL and most private package carriers will operate today.
Tips for Sellers on Veterans Day
Federal holidays when USPS is closed are always a bit tricky for sellers because many buyers don’t think about them as “holidays” as retailers and most private companies are open.
In addition, with Veterans Day falling on a Friday, if sellers do not typically operate or schedule USPS pickups on Saturdays, the first day buyers will see tracking information will be on Monday, potentially leading to shipment status inquiries from customers.
Here are tips on how to deal with order fulfillment today.
- Process USPS shipments as usual, but a good practice is to notify buyers that today is Veterans Day, a federal holiday in the United States, and there are no postal operations. Buyers will still receive a tracking number, but by notifying them of the holiday they won’t expect to see any movement scans until Saturday or late Monday (shippers should specify in their notification on which day orders will be dropped off to or picked up by USPS).
- For urgent shipments, consider using UPS, FedEx, or DHL Express (international), as these carriers operate today. For sellers who need to drop off package(s), private carriers have an extensive nationwide store network.
- Also, UPS, FedEx, and DHL have small package drop boxes, and agreements with many independent national retailers, private shipping centers, and mailbox stores. Check their websites for more details.
- The Sendle shipping service which is becoming popular among some marketplace sellers mostly relies on USPS to deliver packages in the US. You should treat regular Sendle shipments like USPS shipments unless they are Sendle Swift shipments that are contracted through a private carrier.
- If using USPS Scan Forms, the best practice is to close out the day as usual. Some shipping platforms may not allow this or they may allow rolling over today’s shipments to the next business day. Check with them for details.
- Avoid using outside USPS mailboxes (the blue boxes) at post office locations on Veterans Day as they could become very full and have increasingly become targets of criminals, stealing mail and small packages. Many larger post offices offer mail slots for flats and smaller packages in public/lobby areas inside, even when counter operations are closed. If you must drop off shipments on a holiday, consider dropping them off inside instead.
- eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, PayPal and other platforms that offer USPS shipping services will all process USPS labels today. However, most of them will not inform buyers that today is a federal holiday. See the suggestion above for USPS shipments.
Additional Federal / USPS Holidays in 2022
Looking ahead this year, here is a list of the remaining federal and postal holidays in 2022.
- Thursday, November 24 – Thanksgiving Day
- Monday, December 26 (observed)* – Christmas Day
- Monday, January 2, 2023 (observed)** – New Year’s Day
* December 25, 2022 (Christmas Day), falls on a Sunday. Monday, December 26, will be treated as a federal holiday.
** January 1, 2023 (New Year’s Day), falls on a Sunday. Monday, January 2, will be treated as a federal holiday.
Here is a complete list of all major holidays and other important dates for eCommerce in 2022.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.