Labor Day: USPS, UPS, and FedEx are Closed Today – September 5, 2022
Labor Day is a federal holiday in the US to honor and recognize the American labor movement, and the contributions of laborers to the development of the United States. It is observed annually on the first Monday of September.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
On Labor Day, most government offices, the United States Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, and other carriers/delivery companies, banks, and many non-retail businesses are closed.
What is closed today or not operational today at USPS?
- No counter operations at retail post offices around the country.
- No regular mail delivery.
- No regular mail pick-up.
- No mail pickup from USPS mailboxes.
- No USPS phone customer service.
What is open or operational today at USPS?
- Access PO Boxes at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Use self-service machines at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Priority Mail Express may be delivered. Restrictions and conditions apply, check tracking.
- Online USPS Ship-N-Click is fully functional.
- Inside and outside USPS mailboxes are open 24/7 – but outside boxes could become very full at busy post office locations.
UPS and FedEx
- UPS and FedEx do not have any shipping open offices or will be making pickups or deliveries today.
- UPS Stores are generally closed today.
- FedEx Office locations are generally open today.
- Some independently owned shipping centers or drop-off locations may accept UPS and FedEx shipments today.
- Some critical shipping services may be available today. Here are links to UPS and FedEx holiday operations.
Tips for Sellers on Labor Day
Online sellers and web store owners that ship internationally should inform buyers that today is a major holiday in the United States as they may not be aware and wonder why their orders were not processed.
Marketplace sellers can process orders today on most platforms such as eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, and others that have an integrated shipping service platform.
In addition, shipping platforms used by web store owners or higher volume online sellers typically will allow the processing of labels, including USPS Ship-N-Click.
For Postal Service shippers that use USPS scan forms, those cannot be created today and all labels will be batched into tomorrow’s scan form.
While customers may receive shipping notifications today, most online platforms will not inform buyers that today is a US holiday. Sellers that process shipments today should email buyers that their orders will not actually ship until tomorrow to avoid any questions.
Additional Federal / USPS Holidays in 2022
Looking ahead this year, here is a list of the remaining federal and postal holidays in 2022.
- Monday, October 10 – Columbus Day
- Friday, November 11 – Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 24 – Thanksgiving Day
- Monday, December 26 (observed)* – Christmas Day
- Monday, January 2, 2023 (observed)** – New Year’s Day
* December 25, 2022 (Christmas Day), falls on a Sunday. Monday, December 26, will be treated as a federal holiday.
** January 1, 2023 (New Year’s Day), falls on a Sunday. Monday, January 2, will be treated as a federal holiday.
Here is a complete list of all major holidays and other important dates for eCommerce in 2022.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.