December 26, Are USPS, UPS, FedEx Open Today? Here Is What’s Closed the Monday After Christmas Day
Are USPS, UPS, or FedEx open on Monday, December 26? This may sound like an unusual question, but with Christmas Day (December 25) falling on a Sunday, how does this affect government agencies and businesses today? Let’s take a look.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
Whenever Christmas falls on Sunday, federal workers get their day off the following Monday. Therefore, the US Postal Service is not operating today, which means:
- No counter operations at retail post offices around the country.
- No regular mail delivery.
- No regular mail pick-up.
- No mail pickup from USPS mailboxes.
- No USPS phone customer service.
What is open or operational today at USPS?
- Access PO Boxes at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Use self-service machines at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Online USPS Click-N-Ship is fully functional.
- Inside and outside USPS mailboxes are open 24/7 – but outside boxes could become full at busy post office locations.
UPS is also not operating on December 26, no pick-ups and deliveries, and most UPS Store locations are closed as well. UPS Express Critical, a specialty service is available today.
FedEx Express and FedEx Freight are not operating today. FedEx Ground, including Home Delivery, is making deliveries on Monday. Pickups are limited and only available to business customers with advance notice.
FedEx Office locations are generally open today but could have limited hours in some areas. And FedEx SameDay City is operating today as well.
Business as usual, the company is making deliveries today.
Government Offices, Banks and Businesses
- Local, State, and Federal Government Offices are closed on December 26.
- Most banks and financial services companies are also closed.
- Many large businesses are giving their employees off today as well.
- Most major retailers and restaurants will be open on Monday.
- Small independent retailers and restaurants may be closed or operating with limited hours only. Call before going.
Tips for Sellers on December 26
Today will be a bit tricky for online sellers as some buyers may think this is a normal day, while others know that USPS, UPS and many other businesses are closed.
Here are some tips on how to deal with shipments on December 26.
Process shipments as usual, but a good practice is to notify buyers that today is an “Observed Holiday” and UPS, as well as the other carriers, are either not operating or on a limited basis only.
Buyers will still get a tracking number, but by notifying them of today’s unique holiday situation, they will not expect to see any movement scans until Tuesday.
There really is not an option for overnight or urgent shipments today.
If you are using USPS Scan Forms, the best practice is to close out the day as usual. Some shipping platforms may not allow this, or they may allow rolling over today’s shipments to the next business day. Check with them for details.
Avoid using outside USPS mailboxes (the blue boxes) at busy post office locations as they could become very full and recently have been targeted by thieves.
eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, PayPal and other platforms that offer USPS shipping services will all process USPS labels today. However, most of them will not inform buyers that today is an observed holiday in their tracking notifications.
Remember, winter weather is a major story this year, check our USPS domestic service disruptions page for the latest information as it still may be affecting operations this week.
New Year’s Day “Observed” – January 2, 2023
Much of what applies today will also apply on Monday, January 2, 2023, the day after New Year’s Day as it is another “observed” holiday.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.