February 20, Are USPS, UPS, FedEx Open Today? Here Is What’s Closed on President’s Day
Are USPS, UPS, or FedEx open on Monday, February 20, 2023? Today is President’s Day, a federal holiday celebrated in the United States on the third Monday of February each year.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
The holiday was originally established to honor the first President of the United States, George Washington, whose birthday was on February 22.
Initially, the holiday was called “Washington’s Birthday” and was first celebrated as a federal holiday in 1885.
However, in 1971, President Richard Nixon issued an executive order declaring the holiday to be “President’s Day,” in honor of all past and present U.S. presidents and changed the date to the third Monday in February.
On February 20, President’s Day, most government offices, banks, and some businesses are closed.
What is closed today or not operational today at USPS?
- No counter operations at retail post offices around the country.
- No regular mail delivery.
- No regular mail pick-up.
- No mail pickup from USPS mailboxes.
- No USPS phone customer service.
What is open or operational today at USPS?
- Access PO Boxes at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Use self-service machines at most locations, if separated area from counter operations/lobby.
- Online USPS Click-N-Ship is fully functional.
- Inside and outside USPS mailboxes are open 24/7 – but outside boxes could become full at busy post office locations.
All UPS services are operating a usual on February 20 with normal pick-ups and deliveries. UPS Store locations should be open as well. However, they are independently owned. and some stores may be closed.
All FedEx services are also operating a usual today, with normal pick-ups and deliveries. FedEx Office locations are open today as well, including its FedEx SameDay City delivery service.
Business as usual, the company is making deliveries today.
Government Offices, Banks and Businesses
- Local, State, and Federal Government Offices are closed on February 20.
- Most banks and financial services companies are also closed.
- Many large businesses are giving their employees off today as well.
- Most retailers and restaurants will be open today.
Tips for Sellers on February 20
Today can tricky for online sellers as many buyers may think this is a normal business day. Here are some tips on how to deal with shipments on February 20.
Process shipments as usual, but a good practice is to notify buyers that today is federal holiday in the U.S. and USPS is not operation today.
Buyers will still receive a tracking number, but by notifying them that today is a federal holiday, they will not expect to see any movement scans until Tuesday.
If you are using USPS Scan Forms, the best practice is to close out the day as usual. Some shipping platforms may not allow this, or may allow rolling over today’s shipments to the next business day. Check with them for details.
Avoid using outside USPS mailboxes (the blue boxes) at busy post office locations as they become very full and recently have been targeted by thieves as well.
eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, PayPal and other platforms that offer USPS shipping services will process USPS labels on February 20. However, most will not inform buyers that today is a federal holiday in their tracking notifications.
Remember, winter weather has been a major story this year already. Check our USPS domestic service disruptions page for the latest information, as it still may be affecting operations this week.
Federal / USPS Holidays in 2023
Looking ahead, here is a list of the remaining federal and postal holidays in 2023, with the next federal holiday just about a month away.
- Monday, May 29 – Memorial Day
- Monday, June 19 – Juneteenth National Independence Day
- Tuesday, July 4 – Independence Day
- Monday, September 4 – Labor Day
- Monday, October 9 – Columbus Day
- Friday, November 10 (observed) – Veterans Day (observed)
- Thursday, November 23 – Thanksgiving Day
- Monday, December 25 – Christmas Day
- Monday, January 1, 2024 – New Year’s Day
* Veterans Day, November 1, 2023, falls on a Saturday this year and when this occurs, workers at government agencies receive the preceding Friday as their day off.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.