Etsy Sees Huge Interest For Fabric Face Masks After CDC Recommendation
Late last week, the CDC updated its guidelines/recommendations suggesting everyone wear protective masks while interacting with others.
- Do you need a business bank account for your online business? Have a look at our review of the five best bank accounts for sellers, some of which are free with no minimum balance or deposits.
- AI can change your entire social media game today. Learn how you can save time writing engaging content faster. [sponsored]
- How to lower your taxable income and pay less in taxes. [sponsored]
- ‘My Community Made’ is a new marketplace to compete with Etsy and Amazon Handmade.
- EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Chris Prill, VP eBay Motors, discussing the new Guaranteed Fit program.
“CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.”CDC Statement
With an acute shortage of surgical and medical face masks as new production is being reserved for front-line medical staff, there has been considerable interest by the public about fabric masks as an alternative, especially since the CDC recommendation.
Fabric face masks are not medical grade and Etsy informs buyers that these masks are not sold as medical devices.
Etsy Sellers Uniquely Positioned to Offer Fabric Masks
Etsy reports today since the CDC recommendation, it has seen significant demand for fabric face masks on its marketplace.
Over the weekend (April 4-6), buyers searched for face masks on Etsy an average of 9 times per second, over 2 million searches. Furthermore, Etsy reports:
- Over the past week, Etsy sellers have sold hundreds of thousands of face masks per day.
- The number of face mask sellers has increased five-fold in the last two weeks to nearly 20,000 sellers.
- Etsy has seen a three-times increase in the number of shops selling face masks daily in the last week alone.
This sudden high demand for fabric masks couldn’t have come at a better time for many Etsy sellers. With many sellers offering unique and custom products that may not be at the top of consumers’ shopping lists right now, this opportunity enables sellers to provide products buyers want.
The rush on masks is helping small and micro-businesses stay afloat during this difficult time by using their skills to make high-demand products.
And the large variety of masks available from Etsy sellers also means consumers can choose from different designs and patterns to fit their wardrobe and style.
Etsy hopes the availability of non-medical, consumer masks on its marketplace will continue to allow more medical and surgical masks to reach the people who need them most: front-line health care workers.
Connect with us: Head over to our Facebook Group for Small Business Sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to stay up to date with relevant news and business insights for your online business.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Business Insights for Your Online Business Presented with a Dash of Humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Richard is co-founder of eSeller365. He has over 17 years of experience on eBay which includes tens of thousands of sales to buyers in over 100 countries and even has experience with eBay’s VeRO program enforcing intellectual property rights for a former employer. And for about two years Richard sold products on Amazon using Amazon FBA in the US.
To “relax” from the daily business grind, for a few weekends a year, he also works for IMSA as a professional race official.